Sunday 7 July 2013

ZADARstrous - 5th July

Sorry for a lack of posts. Wifi issues. Will post the ones I have written I get wifi.

----------

I've had a lovely couple of days in Zadar and  met some pretty cool people. One not so cool guy moved into our room yesterday. Firstly he kept snorting and it was disgusting. I wanted to shout at him to blow his nose but I didn't. Second, he insisted on having the air conditioning on because the room was 'steaming' despite the fact me and Jackie (the candian) were lying in our beds shivering. He was wearing about 10 layers to sleep in but wouldn't take them off. Jackie turned off the air con in the middle of the night and he promptly turned it back on. I told him to wear less clothes if he was hot and Jackie told him we were cold but he insisted. I was sleeping directly infront of the air con so I was getting the full force of it but he didn't care.

Ok sorry. Rant over....

Today I am getting the ferry to Ancona and then the train to Venice. I got up and packed and presented myself to the ferry check-in before 10 as stated. On the way to the check-in office I saw santa again. I got a better photo this time. I got my ticket and boarded the ferry. It is a beastly (massive) ferry.  It was about half the width of the north end of Zadar. Literally. It was moored up against it and went from half way to the end. Although that probably says more about Zadars smallness rather than the ships bigness. 

I had an allocated seat which is in a crap place. It's not a window seat or an isle seat. Its just in the middle next to a wall. At least I'm near the bar. Hopefully they'll accept euros as I don't have many kunas left. They have a duty free shop which I will definitely be heading for. Not quite sure how I'm going to manage the whole luggage situation. Maybe I'll see if there is an inexpensive luggage store.

There isn't. I'm going to have to keep my rucksack with me. But at least the bar takes euros. Thank god for Dads emergency supply. Lunch on him. Actually I might have some left over from Austria.

I do. I have €3.17 to be exact. I watched us depart from the tiny open air area at the side of the boat. The ship was secured by four massive ropes, which were freed by what looked like two random civillians who had just turned up.

After we had set sail I went in search of lunch. I hadn't been sitting in my allocated seat, I was on the deck above and when I walked back through the seating section to get to the self service restaurant it was absolutely deserted. Clearly this ferry is nowhere near capacity. Either that or no one else is silly enough to pay for a seat when there are plenty if free ones upstairs, something I didn't realise! I have the whole section to myself, apart from the occasional person passing through to the restaurant.

For lunch I had a tasty hamburger steak and potatoes, whilst looking out over the sea. It was lovely. When I returned I promptly relocated to a nicer window seat with more leg room.

My plan to visit the duty free was scupered. When you see the picture you'll understand why. Instead I passed the time watching an old film about three women who skipped out on some seminar and told each other how they met their husbands.

I really want some chocolate but the only form of chocolate on this boat is chocolate croissants. Not quite what I had in mind....

I've received my 'welcome to Italy' text - very exciting. And I can see land on the horizon. Still an hour and 45 minutes to go.

Ok I'm having a bit of a panic. My train to Venice is at half 6. Its the only one. Its going to be tight. We are almost there but we've stopped. We are just sitting. Floating in the water. I can see land. We must be so close but we arent moving. I'm already worrying I'm going to have to pay an extortionate rate for a taxi to the train station because I won't have time to walk and won't have time to haggle. Apparently there is a bus as well but it might not have the right timing. I don't know what I'll do if I miss the train.

Its now 18:21. My train leaves in 6 minutes. The boat hasn't docked yet. No chance I'll get it and no idea how to get to Venice. Pray for me.

P.s the title was measnt to sound like disastrous. Incase you didn't get that. Poor effort I know. But at least I tried.

1 comment: