Wednesday 24 July 2013

Things I won't miss about interailing and europe

Sitting on the ferry, reflecting on my trip there has been some things I won't be sad to leave behind, both to do with Europe and to do with interailing or travelling in general. I've compiled a list so as you can imagine this is a moaney post. The ferry by the way is massive. Cafes galore and a shop that actually has things in it.

The main thing is random men trying to chat you up. I have been approached so many times by random guys complementing me, asking if I want to go with them, which you just don't get in England, where they at least pretend to be interested in what you have to say first. Yesterday morning in Vondelpark I walked past some guy and he just shouts out to me 'you want to come to bed with me?'. Erm.... no. I know Amsterdam has alot of prostitutes but they tend to stand behind windows with no clothes on, not wander through Vondelpark in the mornings. Although apparently it is legal to have sex in Vondelpark after dark. There's a fun fact for you.

Another thing I won't miss is living out of a rucksack. I like to have stuff strewn everywhere. Having to keep everything in one place in a bag that you are constantly having to pack and unpack and repack is annoying. I am looking forward to having a floordrobe again.

I am also looking forward to having a relatively secure house I can leave stuff in a not get it stolen. I've been constantly worrying someone is going to steal my dirty clothes and my phone charger. Or just anything really but those were the things I tended to leave in an unlocked locker during the day. I think my ipod cable was stolen last night too. I think it was plugged in to the same thing as my phone and now I can't find it.

One thing I definitely won't miss about hostels is not being able to just walk around naked. After a shower for example its really hard to get dressed and not flash people. Also at night when it gets so hot but you have to keep your clothes on.

I will love having my own plug sockets that are located near to my bed. Its not very sociable to set an alarm for half 6 in the morning when you have to get dressed before you can turn it off because the plug where your phone is charging is over the other side of the room.

I am majorly looking forward to mum's cooking. Having to always pay for meals is very expensive and what's cheap is generally not that great.

At home and at uni, I am always dressed in hoodies and trackies and if I'm not going out and not going to be seen I don't bother with my hair. When sharing a room and at a hostel you always have to be presentable as you never know when the next good looking guy, or even just a girl to make friends with, is going to turn up.

I will not miss one bit the whole curtain situation going on with some of these hostels. I cannot wait to get a good nights sleep without a blindfold (which was a godsend) and without an alarm going off at half 5 because someone has to get an early train, or someone banging around next to you or coming home at 3 in the morning and crashing around. Admittedly that last one never happened to me but still.

As Dorothy (?) says 'there is no place like home'.

1 comment:

  1. This most made me giggle out loud, mainly the 'floordrobe', the random men and the fact that you think someone would want to steal your dirty washing?! :-p

    ReplyDelete