Monday 1 July 2013

Plitvice Lakes - day 2

Today I got up early again to go to Plitvice. There is such a difference, in the car parks, in the front area, in the cafes between early morning and afternoon. Its so quiet and peaceful in the morning. Definitely the time to come. Today I went to 'Veliki Slap' or 'the big waterfall'. It is bigger than all the others here but not Niagra Falls big. By big it just means taller.

Then I went up to sightseeing point A which offers you a nice view over the waterfall. Then I folllowed the route to the ferry point and a different route along the side of the lakes so I could get to Hotel Jezero and hopefully a cash machine.

I found the cash machine and that is a massive worry off my mind. I should now be able to get to Zadar, touch wood.

My plan for the rest of today is to walk back along the lakes, get lunch in the cafe by the lake and then just chill next to the lake. My calf muscles are really starting to feel all the hills and stairs I've been climbing. For tea I will have salami sandwiches (yay!).

I'm sure there are many paths around this national park I haven't walked but I covered most of it in one day. I would say for some one day would be sufficient but more are necessary to be 100% sure you have covered every inch of path.

FINALLY after days of seeing statuses on Facebook about sun in England, the sun has appeared again where I am. I had to actually put suncream on today. Its hot. Its fantastic. I refuse to not be tanned when I arrive back in England on July 24th.

I sat by the lake. Sunbathing with a hell of a view. I even did a bit of paddling. Made friends with butterfly. It was good.

I started off a trend. When I sat down it was just me. Then loads of people kept joining me. Now its just me again.

Its been a lovely day. So relaxed and calm. I don't really want to leave this spot but I suppose I'll have to.

On the walk back I was passing over a bridge when I heard some kind of rustling in the plants. I looked over and there sas a shirtless man in shorts and boxers, with glasses wading through the river. Going in the water is not allowed so I just stopped like "what is he doing". He started picking up the money people had thrown into the river and putting it in his pocket. I assumed he must be poor and desperate but if so, why waste money paying to get in? Maybe he was short a few bob at the cafe.

I'm pretty sure I'm burnt. Not quite sure how it happened. I put suncream on like 4 times in 3 hours.

Now I'm sitting in the guesthouse garden after eating salami sandwiches.

I've had two ab fab days in Plitvice. I will be sad to leave. Will definitely come back here at some point.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the picture of your friend the butterfly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how hard it was to get. Pretty much the whole time it was on me, first my litle then my big toe, it was just sitting with its wings shut. I was like 'flap!' X

      Delete