Tuesday 9 July 2013

Zurich

This morning I got up at 6:17 and packed up my stuff. I wasn't going to have time for breakfast but I wanted one of the amazing bread rolls. The woman very kindly said she would make me a packed breakfast. The people at the hostel were so kind and helpful. I would definitely recommend Ostello Villa Olmo.

I got to the station and got talking to an asian girl who happened to be in the same carriage as me. We spent most of the train journey just chatting and then she suggested we should meet up later. I didn't really feel I could say no....

On the train there was this russian looking guy with hundreds of tattoos and alot of expensive looking things. When we passed into Switzerland two border control guards got on. They just walked past most people but when they got to this man they stopped and checked his passport and luggage. One of the guards rang someone up and was talking whilst looking at the passport. After a while they seemed to say it was ok and carried on up the train. Then three stops before Zurich some people in plain clothes got on. One of them had a name tag type thing round his neck. They went straight to the man, searched his luggage and checked his passport. The man then rang someone up whilst looking at his passport. The russian guy said to the police officer he didnt speak german in English. After a while the plain clothes guys left. I'm hypothesising he is ex Russian mafia.

When I arrived in Zurich I went to the hostel to dump my rucksack and ended up staying for lunch. Then I got the tram to Lake Zurich. One side is just made for people. The benches are on the edge of the lake, facing it and even have somewhere to rest your feet. There were tonnes of people just sitting by the lake and of course, I joined them. Incase you haven't noticed by now, I like lakes and all things watery.

From the lake I walked down Bahnhofstrasse which is a mile long road from the station (no kidding!). On the way back I passed an ice cream and frozen yogurt stand. There was lots of little bowls of sweets and fruit that could top the ice cream and yogurt. Since I have the self control of a peanut I decided to get some. I thought I'd go for frozen yogurt coz its healthier. It couldn't be that bad. I got frozen yogurt with chocolate sauce and chocolate bits. It was not good. Frozen yogurt has a really weird taste. I ended up just eating the chocolate bits which was probably just as unhealthy as ice cream.

Due to how unhealthy I am feeling I've set myself some rules. From now on only two cans or 1 bottle of coke a day, no pudding - which I hadn't really been having anyway and no more ice cream. If I want more coke after the two cans, I can have diet. There's no sugar in that. Although it doesn't taste as nice. Or even nice at all.

From the tiny bit of Zurich I've seen today, and it is only a tiny bit, it seems like a very affluent place. There are so many audi's and mercedes' around and I couldn't afford to shop in any of the shops on Bahnhofstrasse. Not that I want a watch anyway.... because there are loooooooads of watch shops.

For dinner I was looking for something cheap.  I asked at the reception if they could recommend anywhere and the man said 'here is the cheapest'. Whilst he may be correct,  they have an option of one thing and its not really something I want/like. I wouldn't choose it at a restaurant. So now I'm going to head to the old town in search of cheap, good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment