Saturday 13 July 2013

Paris again

After leaving the station I got the metro to Place de Concorde and then wandered up to the tourist office to find out about Bastille Day. For lunch I had a yummy bagel from a place that was basically a more upmarket subway. After this I had a very brief trip to some gardens I can't remember the name of at this exact moment in time. I was just walking along when all the street sellers suddenly went sprinting down the path. Closely behind them,  but not really chasing them were two police men on bikes.
One thing I've noticed about Paris is the large amount of PDA's compared to anywhere else. There were couples everywhere just sitting, completely oblivious to the world around them just making out. Properly going for it. I resisted the urge to tell them to get a room.
From the gardens I walked to the Notre Dame. One the way I passed what I thought was a golden bridge. When I got closer I realised it was actually jam packed full with padlocks, bearing couples names, that were glinting in the sun. It was waaaay more packed than the one in Salzburg. It was chock-a-block. There were more street sellers on the bridge selling padlocks for you to add your own contribution.
I got to the Notre Dame and joined the ten mile long queue that was to go in. It moved very fast and I was in in no time. Massive signs at the entrance asked for silence and prohibited the use of flash, but clearly some people were blind and stupid. So many flashes were going off and people were chatting away.
When I had finished in the cathedral I walked back to the nearest metro station and waited for a train. I sat on a seat next to this man and he said what might of been 'are you a hairdresser?' but I can't be sure as my french is awful. I was just like what but he kept on talking to me. I told him I was english and he carried on in french for about 5 minutes before asking me if I was English. I said yes and then he asked me if I was spanish. Thankfully at this point the train arrived and I made my escape.
I decided to check out the hostel restaurant for dinner but it doesn't open till half 6. And to make it worse the woman on the next table has cheesy chips. Oh how I miss uni........

No comments:

Post a Comment