Wednesday 17 July 2013

Brugge

Brugge is fast becoming my favourite place. The canals, the cobbled streets, the chocolate shops,  the pizza hut and the fact the shops all sell pepsi max.
I've run out of underwear, the cashpoint won't accept my card and the hostel doesn't have a laundry room. What a mare. Its not really. I am going to hand wash stuff. I brought washing stuff with me for this very situation.
-----
Now I've washed them they are just hanging on the wardrobe opposite the doorway. What a treat that will be for who ever comes into the room.
Today I did a little tour of Brugge's main sights. There aren't many. It was lovely though. I had pepsi max today and then after I had a coke and it reminded me how much nicer pepsi max is than coke. I don't know how I could ever give it up. 
I wanted to take a boat tour but a) they were like €8 and b) there were massive queues. I think there are more tourists than local people here. But it is a very lovely place so you can understand it. You wouldn't want to stay here long though. Unless you like beer. There are enough different variety of beers here to keep you going for a long time. And chocolate. I saw some barley being delivered to the 'De Halve Maan'  brewery today. It was coming off the back of a lorry and being poured into a hole in the ground. The lorry man said it takes 3 hours to empty the whole lorry but I wasn't going to stay to time him.
There was a market in Brugge today. Funnily enough it was in the main square, which is called Markt. I didn't buy anything. I just sat and watched others spend their money. I took photos of the cathedral and another fancy building and continued on to the former Hanseatic quarter. Not much to look at there. Then I went to Burg where there were some lovely building that I don't know what they are and then I went to Brugge's most photographed sight which wasn't as amazing as you'd think but it was nice.
I read in the guide book that the cathedral tower is right in the centre of Brugge and can be seen from anywhere so you can't get lost. I found three church towers,  none of which can be seen from everywhere so I think it was lying. I think this evening I am going to walk back to Minnewater, if its not blocked off, as it was last time I went and just have a little walk round. Tomorrow I am moving in to Brussels, the penultimate stop on what has so far been a fantastic trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment