Thursday 18 July 2013

Belguim. Brugge. Brussels

Last night my plan was to just wander round after it got dark to see all the sights lit up. I asked the barman at the hostel where is good to go in the evening and he recommended me all these places and then told me if I waited till 11 he would come with me. I hadn't really meant going out out and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out with him. He was about 35 and I didnt have the money. At around 8 I told him I'd be back and went for a walk down to Minnewater,  the so called lake of love, although I'm not really sure why. I was just sitting there listening to my ipod, admiring the view whilst gradually more and more people turned up next to me for what appeared to be some kind of birthday gathering.

I got up to take a photo and a girl and a boy came over to me asking if I was from Brugge and what I was doing there on my own. I explained I was interailing and they invited me to join their party. The girl gave me some rum and coke and I joined them.
A few minutes later some Australians turned up. 3 guys and a girl in their late 20s who really didn't look it. As in they were 28/29 and looked about 21. They were invited to join the party too. When I say party I mean a group of people sitting by the river with music and alcohol. Not a dancing party. At around 12 the Australians and I decided it was time to go home. They had to leave for Amsterdam and I had to leave for Brussels in the morning.

I got back to the hostel to a room full of sleeping people. I quietly got into bed and tried to sleep. On the bed opposite me was a woman who was snoring so loudly she was making the whole hostel vibrate. It took so long to get to sleep. Eventually she rolled over and shut up.

This morning was nice and relaxed for a change. My train isn't until 11:30 so I got up at 8 and didn't have to rush breakfast and packing. I even had time to hairdry my underwear which was still wet. I received some very strange looks.

This train journey is the last time I will use my interail pass. It expires tomorrow. I can't believe I am almost at the end of this trip.

When I got to Brussels I immediately got lost trying to find the hostel. I went back to the station and asked at the tourist info who sent me in the right direction. When I got there at 1:15 there was a sign on the door saying 'closed for lunch. Open again at 2pm' which was highly annoying. Thankfully there was a little patch of grass outside the hostel I could sit on. I had my backpack with me so I didn't really want to walk far and I was desperate for the loo which really didn't help matters.

I eventually got in and dumped my bags and went for a walk round a tiny portion of Brussels so I don't kill myself trying to see everything tomorrow. One of the places I went to was the Palace of Justice which is a massive building but quite nice. I wandered through the royal gardens and then found somewhere to eat.

It was so so so so hot today on Brussels. Just breathing was too much effort. Tomorrow I am going to be doing a lot of walking. Brussels is quite big.

1 comment: