Monday 8 July 2013

Lake Como - part 1

I didn't really have a plan when I got up this morning. I was thinking I'd go to one of two towns that the hostel said were good for swimming (and sunbathing). But when I woke up it wasn't exactly sunbathing weather.

I went down and had breakfast. They have me what was probably the nicest bread roll I have ever had.  I got a hot chocolate and two little pieces of cake.

I decided to go to Bellaggio, one of the two towns. Its slightly bigger than hd other option and has more things to see than the other according to the hostel lady. I got lost trying to find the bus stop, since the stop is no longer at the bus station but I had plenty of time.

On the way to the bus station I had walked round the lake and passed several massive villas that would be amazing to live in. Unfortunately they are government offices now so that dream will never be fulfilled. Apparently Napoleon (sp?) was just one of the famous and important visitors to have crossed the threshold of one of them.

The clouds have pretty much gone now but it hasn't got up to the temperatures I was seeing in Venice and Zadar. But its still early(-ish)!

The bus driver said ciao belle to the lady behind me getting on the bus. I didn't realise italians actually said that sort of thing. Thought it was just one of those stereotypical things that only happens in movies.

The bus rides to Bellaggio was absolutely fantastic. The driver speeds along these tiny winding roads, beeping at every corner. You are going from side to side and he just carries on speeding round the corners. There are also beautiful views of Lake Como. I love how there are just little villages dotted on the hillside upwards from the lake with all different coloured houses. It was fabulous.

Bellaggio is beautiful. Its a little touristy and there's alot of ferries so there's traffic but the actual town and lake front are lovely. There's a tree lined promenade along the lake and little cobbled streets up to the town. I was looking for somewhere cheap to have a biggish lunch and then have a sandwich or something for dinner.  I wanted to have pasta but all the restaurants I could find where expensive or didn't have anything I wanted. I wandered up through the town looking at various menus without any luck. Then right at the top on a quiet road out of town I found a small cheap place. I started to sit down and the waiter man asked if I would like to sit in the garden because its nicer. I didn't even know there was a garden.  He led me down this tiny little passage into this lovely but equally tiny little terrace area. It was like a secret garden. It was lovely.

After lunch I was planning on sunbathing and swimming. But the only place I could swim was a private beach. And it didn't seem to be open. I was so annoyed. I had only really come to Bellaggio to swim. I went to the tourist office and asked where I could swim. She told me the nearest beach was in the next village San Giovanni and I would have to get the bus or the ferry. I wanted to swim. I bought a return ticket for €2.60 and waited for the ferry. I wasn't going to have very long as I had to get back for the last bus at half 6 and it was already half 1. But I reckoned I had time for a quick dip.

In other news, I'm peeling :(

No comments:

Post a Comment