Monday 15 July 2013

A Dorling walking tour

Paris is really different to the other cities I've visited. It's bigger, there are more sights and they aren't really within walking distance.

This morning started off well. I found my missing earphones cover thing in my bag. I thought I had lost it on the trolley bus in Zurich. I then had to move rooms as tjey had already filled my original bed before I booked the extra night. But it wasn't too strenuous and at the moment I'm the only one in there. Its also a six bed room rather than 4.

After breakfast I started doing a home made walking tour of the sights, starting at the Invalides.  I then walked via the military school to the Eiffel tower. At the Eiffel Tower I tried in vain to get a decent selfie from several different places. Selfies are much easier to take when someone else takes them. But I guess thats not a selfie. I had to resort to a non-selfie in the end.

I had lunch and then headed for a tower boasting excellent views over Paris and the Eiffel Tower. I got the metro as it was just a bit far to walk. It cost me €10.50 to go up the tour and although you could see alot of Paris, I didn't feel it was worth the amount I paid. I had chosen to go up this one instead of the Eiffel Tower as it meant I could see the Eiffel tower too. Its a good view but €10.50 is like 4 cokes from the hostel. I want to go up the Eiffel Tower at night but I'm not sure I should. I hate money.

After the tower I got the tube to the Hotel De Ville to continue my Dorling walking tour. I sat and occasionally dipped my feet in the fountain at the Hotel (probably wasn't meant to) before walking down to the Centre Pompidou where I saw some very strange fountains and watched some street dance. There were two asian people sitting on the side of the road offering massages whilst you sat on camping stools in front of them. The police came and swiftly moved them on.
I walked from Centre Pompidou down to Bastille and then got the metro back to tje hostel.

I asked the receptionist if she thought the Eiffel tower was worth it at night. She didn't think it was so in the interest of money, I'm giving it a miss. I'll have to come back with someone willing and able to pay for me (parents I'm talking about you).

I'm slightly glad I will be spending a couple of hours sitting on the train tomorrow. My feet and back are dying from all the walking. My feet are going to need some major TLC when I get home.

I currently have no idea what I am going to do this evening.

P.s if you love a good selfie, this is for you.

http://www.studentbeans.com/worldweirdweb/a/wins/30-greatest-selfies-ever-taken-4962.html

3 comments:

  1. i'll sub you a tkt up the Eiffel tower...as long as I can come too!
    when u back el?
    ps - u never told us what u thought of the ML?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome to come. Back on the 24th. I assume you mean Mona Lisa - was a bit underwhelmed, plus they wouldn't let you anywhere near it to properly inspect the smile x

    ReplyDelete
  3. those selfies are hilarious, i hope you have some as good as that! xxx

    ReplyDelete