Sunday 21 July 2013

Sunny Sunday in Amsterdam

I am loving Amsterdam. The canals, the canal houses and the bikes that will run you over if you dont move out their way.

Its so hot today. Apparently it's not normal. Since its a Sunday everyone is out and about. The canals are full with topless fat men and old women on bikinis, beer in hand, sunning themselves on their boats and Vondelpark is packed

This morning I went on a free tour of Amsterdam with a tour guide called 'Lee' (a nickname). She was really good and funny and told lots of unusual stories about Amsterdam. That took around 3 hours and then she invited anyone who wanted to for a drink at a cafe that was clearly the tour guides hang out. Me and three austrialians went and we just chilled. The tour had gone through the red light district where there were a few ladies of all shapes and sizes sitting in windows. We were advised by the tour guide that the ladies do not react well to having their photos taken and may hurl a handily placed cup of urine at you. Either that or chase you down the street and  stamp on your camera. I'm not sure how true that was but no one dared test it.

After a drink in the cafe I wandered back to the hostel past the Palace of Justice which is not at all an impressive building. By this time it was about 4pm. So I just sat in Vondelpark with the rest of the entire dutch population.

The worst thing about not being able to top up my caxton fx card is that there are orange calipos and pepsi max everywhere and I can't afford them if I want dinner.

Interesting fact, the sign for Amsterdam is XXX. The tour guide mentioned it and I thought she was joking but then I saw some police men with it on their shirts.
She also said that 60% of the clientele in the red light district are British men on their stag do's.

For dinner I had fish and chips because for €7.50 I could also get a drink and there isn't anywhere else with anything cheaper. It was quite nice actually. I can't believe I only have 3 days left. Not even full days. In three days time I will almost be back in England. I wish I could slow time down.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say how much we have both enjoyed your blog, Elena.(And have looked forward to reading it every day) Lynn & Jem xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you are enjoying them. Only a couple more posts to come now :( looking forward to seeing you at the BBQ xxx

      Delete