Sunday 7 July 2013

Incredible Italy - 6th July

Venice is an incredible place. Because of the water and canals and churches,  but also because of the food. Just walking around made me hungry. There were bakeries and pizza bars and crepes and ice cream and marzipan fruits (Leila - look at the photo!). It was fantastic. And there was hundreds of little shops selling masks and venetian glass. If I wasnt poor I would buy something for every one.

This morning I went on a tour of the Basilica which is amazing. The mosaics that cover the walls and roof are stunning. They depict the Bible and most of it is golden. Apparently it took 300 years to complete. Which isn't surprising when you see them. Its like 800 square metres or something and the pieces are tiny. You're not allowed to take photos but I sneaked one of the alter piece just for you guys. Because I had short shorts on I had to pay a euro for a shawl which I made into a skirt. It looked very fetching, as you will be able to see in my extended highlights at the end of the trip.

After the tour I just explored the streets of Venice,  heading in no real direction, passing all the earlier mentioned shops. I happened upon the rialto bridge which was chock-a-block with tourists. I had lunch in a restaurant by the river.

I saw a cruise ship this morning that puts all other cruise ships to shame. It was ginormous. Ridiculously big. Called something princess.

Today I have learnt I can only pass a certain number of delicious looking ice cream places before giving in to temptation. I got a very chocolaty looking scoop of ice cream which was delicious.

I got on a vaporetto and headed back towards San Marco when I passed a beautiful building at a stop called 'Salute' so I got off and had a look. Unfortunately it was closed until 3pm and it was only half 1 but I'm pretty sure it was a church. Venice has a few beautiful churches.

I've had a very watery few days. Lake Bled, Plitvice Lakes,  Zadar, Venice and next Lake Como. I just love water!

I spent the afternoon just wandering round. I went back to the hostel to wash some underwear because I've run out and now I'm just praying its dry by tomorrow. I've bought a ticket for the Doges palace which I originally wasn't going to go in but some man told me it was worth it. And I do really want to see the dungeons.

I love the chaos on the Grand Canal. So many boats trying to get through and across. Gondalas, vaporetto, massive cruise ships and other such boats. Its all happening.

I watched the sun set over Venice from the edge of rhe river on what has been a really lovely day. I'm sort of sad that I'm not here longer. I feel like although I've seen all the main tourist sights (or will have tomorrow) haven't seen the real Venice. If you know what I mean...

It's just a shame about the hostel. I mean the beds are comfy, but the rooms are just like prison cells, it said breakfast included which it isn't, there's no laundry room like the website said and the wifi isn't working. And they clearly don't want to take the blame for it. I asked the man if it was working and he said its slow because too many people are using it. Well both me and the other girl who had just asked a woman about it couldn't even connect so I don't see how thats the problem. But i guess I can survive without wifi. I'm not sure you guys can survive without my blog posts though....

3 comments:

  1. Hiya,

    Glad to get the italian posts at last after the worry of whther you would get there! I wish you had more money too, cos those marxipan fruits lok yummy! Hopefully the next hostel will be better and Lake Como. Should be beautiful too. Really enjoying the blogs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were massive. At first I thought it was just real fruit! Glad you're enjoying them! Xx

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the spelling and random punctuation !

    ReplyDelete