Tuesday 16 July 2013

Untitled

I've had a fantastic time in Paris. Being there for Bastille Day was a lovely experience. And having a room to myself last night was fab.
The hostel was one of those new buildings that is eco friendly. Its all about reducing CO2 and saving energy. It meant the hostel had some annoying features though. The showers and taps didn't have a temperature adjuster. The showers were scalding hot. I couldn't even stand under it properly. I resorted to filling my massive water bottle from the sink to rinse the shampoo out my hair. And I know I'm not the only one who thought it was too hot. When I got back from the tour Eiffel last night some girl was complaining about it. I'm also not a fan of brushing your teeth in hot water.
The other annoying feature was that you had to have your room key in a little slot of the power to work in the room. It meant when I wanted to charge my camera or ipod etc I had to sit in my room where there was nothing to do because the wifi only worked in the lobby. I guess it was just a way to stop the lights being left on. But it was annoying.
This morning I packed up to head for Brugge. I got the metro to Paris Est only to remember my train was leaving from Gare de Nord. Thankfully they are just down the road from each other and I realised before I left the metro station so I just hopped onto the Metro to the right station. I could have walked because my train was delayed ten minutes away but I should still make my connection with time to spare.
The last couple of times I've got the metro I've had a right palarva with metro tickets. Mum gave me a whole load she had left over and they worked fine the first few times. When I tried to go to the fireworks on Bastille Day the tickets I had weren't working. I assumed they just cost more at night so brought tickets. But yesterday at Bastille metro station I had the same problem. I asked the ticket man and he looked at it and then just let me through the gate. On the way to the Eiffel tower yesterday evening I had more ticket troubles. I just copied the rest of the people and squeezed past the barrier anyway.
When I got to the metro and my ticket wasn't working this morning, some man just told me to crawl under. He wasn't an official man, just another passenger. I had to take my backpack off to be able to fit. I wasn't going to pay for a metro ticket when I had two unused ones. I'm just thankful you don't need them to get out.
The 11:05 train to Brugge from Brussels was absolutely packed. It was a double decker and I really wanted to go upstairs but by the time I had worked out it was actually my train and not the 10:58 that was 9 minutes late, both of which were going from the same platform it was packed and there was no point me even trying to get a seat. I just sat on the stairs instead.
Not only have I decided I want to do para sailing (as I was informed thats what it's called, if I remember correctly) during this trip, I have decided I want to try speedboat driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment