Sunday 7 July 2013

Train troubles x50 - 5th July

Ok not 50. The ferry was really late and when I got off I couldn't even find a taxi to get to the station so I powered walked. It wasn't that far in the end. About 1.5km. When I got to the station it was about 19:17 and my train had long gone. I was covered in sweat and didn't know if I was going to have to spend the night in the train station, but I was in a good mood. Like dad told me before I left, there was no point getting stressed.

I went into the information office and told the woman I wanted to go to Venice. She was like 'today?!' It didn't fill me with joy. She clicked her mouse and typed on her keyboard for about an hour and then printed out a sheet with all the possible routes. I could get a train to Bologne and then change to Venice Mestre. It wasn't the train station I wanted but I had no other option. It was closer than Ancona. I would get in at about 11:30. Then she said 'actually you should get the later train from Bologna because the one to Bologna is delayed'. Fab. If the train hadn't been delayed I could have gone to the station I wanted. Italy is turning out to be more expensive than planned. Supplements and extra taxi journeys (probably) here there and everywhere.

Oh well the fact it was delayed meant I had more time to pay the supplement of €10 for a seat and get a drink. I had gotten a sandwich on the ferry which turned out to be a good idea.

The train turned up, half an hour later than scheduled and I got on and found my seat. My scheduled arrival time at Venice Mestre is now 1am. And I still have to get from Venice Mestre to the hostel.

There's an italian guy sitting opposite me who seems to be some kind of architect and he looks exactly like I would stereotypically think an Italian architect would look.

I got to Bologna and found some very good news. The train going directly to the nearest train station in Venice, the one I originally wanted to go to was delayed ten minutes meaning I had just enough time to get on it. Whilst stood on the platform I saw a lady wearing a uniform and she looked like she was part of the rail industry. I asked her if I needed a ticket and how much it would cost and showed her my interail ticket. She explained that it's a private company and the ticket would probably cost €50. After some deliberation and Mums imput I got on the train. The woman I asked had kindly looked up the prices and came over to me. The ticket was €40, which, whilst still alot, was less than originally thought.

I found the train manager and bought a ticket. The trains are so cool. They have vending machines in the walls and look all modern and clean. €40 probably isn't that much more than I would end up spending getting from Venice Mestre, where I would have arrived at, to Venice S.L. Thank goodness for train delays!

I got to Venice at around half 11 and had to find a waterbus to take me to my hostel as it was on the little island Guidecca (?). It was all very new and exciting. It took about 3 tries before I found the right stop but I swear the signs were the wrong way round.

I arrived at the hostel and checked in. Its now about 00:30. Im trying to make my top bunk bed up in the dark and quietly. Sometimes I don't think hostels appreciate how hard it is to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment